Monday, October 1, 2012
Note: The purpose of this blog is to serve as a course exercise for EDM 510 for creating blogs. Please post if you are on my team.
A Day in the Life of a Substitute Teacher
4:30
I wake up and check SubFinder for an assignment if I haven't already gotten one the previous day.
5:30
I continue to check SubFinder for the reasons mentioned above.
6:00
I start getting ready for the day at the school where I'm assigned. I usually don't have a lesson plan of my own, even if it's my subject, so I like to get to the school early in order to figure out a way to present the material, if that's required. I also need to leave sufficient time to find schools with which I'm not already familiar.
7:00
I arrive at the school, sign in, find the room, and start my daily set of tasks. I arrive in the room, scan for a sub folder with a lesson plan, and, if I find one, start setting things up. If I don't find anything, I go to the front office or bug another teacher until I get something, or, on rare occassions, I make up something--this almost never works. Later, I look for the seating chart or at least a roster. If I don't find one, I go to attendence and ask for a list of students in the class.
____________
Highlight:
I once taught at a middle school for eight days; the regular teacher was on extended sick leave, and I was really hoping I would get the position. I tried to make a good impression on the principal, but it was chaos. I had to get up at around 4:00 just to make it to the school, because, at the time, I didn't have a running vehicle. I gave up on trying to plan lessons, and even the principal suggested I just review things with them. The class never really settled down enough to even let me do that, though. I thought that since there teacher was out for so long and they knew I was licensed in the same subject, they would settle down and listen to what I had to say. Needless to say, I was wrong. Every day the retract teacher gave almost everyone a referral. I was really upset by how well the students behaved for him and how badly they behaved with me, and very few students actually paid attention to what I tried to teach them. To make matters worse, my co-teacher had another class she needed to attend to, so she mostly left me with worksheets. No one ever took the time to explain to me what I was expected to do. Apparently, I was supposed to know all of that already. It was really difficult, and I blame myself for not helping the students make progress, and I think it reflects poorly upon me as a teacher. My lesson plans and activities fell apart everyday, because, no matter how prepared I thought I was, I was never prepared enough. If the students didn't understand something, chaos ensued, period, and I could never explain things clearly enough.
I have to keep in mind, though, that a failed teaching experience doesn't necessarily mean that I've failed as a teacher. This was a tough school, and, even though a majority of the class ignored me, a few students actually listened to what I had to say. That kind of made all of the struggles worth it, although I'm pretty sure my principal wasn't thrilled to walk in and see me teaching ten students while the other thirty basically did whatever they wanted. Well, I did try.
_____________
7:20
Students begin filing in. A few gleefully shout, "we've got a substitute!" I know what comes next if I'm not on top of everything.
If it's highschool, I can usually buy time by having the assignment set out and within reach, but if it's middle school, the assignment better be on their desks. Otherwise, there will be quite a few students talking, fighting, or engaging in other off-task behavior. This absolutely drives me nuts!
Next is the hard part. If the teacher did not leave a seating chart in the sub folder, and most of them don't for whatever reason, I have to waste instruction time calling roll. What happens when I call roll? A few students (highschool) or a few dozen students (middle school) talk loudly, carry on, and generally try to distract me from my task.
I'm terrible with names, so, while I'm calling roll if there's no seating chart, I usually jot down significant facial features, hair color, hair styles, accessories, etc. so that I can sort of keep the names straight. It's pretty important to get a bluff in on these kids. Taking the roll like this helps me compensate for not having a seating chart and also helps me when I need to warn a student or write a referral. It also makes actually learning the students' names easier. My little name trick doesn't always work, though, and can get very confusing in the school settings where students are likely to wear the same hairstyle and manner of dress.
__________________
Highlight:
Sometimes the name thing goes without a hitch, and the students are impressed at how quickly I "learn" their names. The students are usually surprised and shout, "how do you know my name?" Making sure that a dozen or so students know that they are not anonymous is usually enough to scare the whole class into being quiet, at least for a while, anyway!
Highlight:
One time a group of smart students used my own trick against me by switching bows, glasses, hats, etc. so that I wouldn't be able to identify them! I was impressed by how quickly they caught on, but, once the students figured out that they were anonymous again, they gave me a very hard time. That was not cool.
I did learn, though, that getting a stone silent classroom at most schools on a sub day is probably not reality, and writing students up for small offenses sometimes just makes them bitter. It's better to follow the classroom teacher's discipline recommendations, again, if they leave any notes on that at all. They usually don't, and, if the students decide to use the classroom as their personal playground because the teacher is away, I have to find my own ways of dealing with it, and sometimes even the front office seems too busy to help.
___________________
Highlight:
Most times, though, the principals and administration are very helpful. There's at least one school that severely punished misbehaving students on my behalf. I love that school; I wish I could work there permanently. Other schools have been very dilligent with discipline and made it very clear that misbehaving with me will not be tollerated.
Unfortunately, though, I've still had people who seem to take the "kids will be kids" mentality and did not respond to my complaints with as much enthusiasm. It's possibly understandable, though, some students have emotional disturbance issues, brain trauma, and all sorts of home drama, and, I don't really know anything about that, because I really am an outsider. I trust administration to handle the issues, explain what needs to be explained, and punish who needs to be punished. What measures are taken on the children who try to disrupt my class are none of my concern; I just don't want them to continue to cause trouble, at least not while I'm there.
_________________
Another approach I sometimes use in middle school is to have students start working immediately so that I can take roll while they are working and we don't lose class time. This is effective to an extent, but there are honestly some students who simply do not seem to believe that the teacher left this work for them. Do they think that I typed it up myself during breakfast? I'm not really sure. Whatever the case may be, those that seem to believe today is actually a free day begin to surface. The noise level in the room rises, and I keep my eyes and ears open for the trouble makers.
I might spot anything from a group of students "working together" to figure out simple addition and subtraction problems to a young couple rough housing and calling each other names under the pretence of "tutoring." I laugh inside sometimes at the silliness of all of this, but then I remind myself that they are directly challenging my authority, no matter how cute they are while they do it, and I quietly make my way over to their desks and start taking notes aloud, "throwing paper, calling female student 'sugar lips', pretending to hit female student, etc." Usually, I get their attention. The students try to argue. I give them my spiel about maybe erasing the evidence if they are good for the rest of the class period. The class kind of quiets down, and things return to normal, until another set of lovable class clowns emerges or the first set inevitably refuses to take me very seriously. It's as if they believe I become deaf when my back is turned to them.
8:20
If this is high school, things are usually calm and will remain so for the rest of the class period, unless I failed to gain control, and that does happen sometimes, especially when the teacher teaches a subject I'm absolutely not familiar with and neglects to leave a roster and I have to resort to a sign-in sheet and hope I don't get "Bugs Bunny" and "Barbie" on my roll.
______________
Highlight:
One time recently, I was assigned to a high school art class. Oragami was the topic being studied that day, and the classroom teacher wanted me to lend a hand with folding lessons. This would have been no problem had I been given enough time to prepare, but I was only given about a fifteen minute preview, and, then, I was kind of left to my own devices. Not to mention that I did not know any of the students' names, because this teacher requested I use a sign-in sheet; it was complete chaos, as you can probably imagine, and, since I wasn't feeling very well that day, I let it continue.
____________
On the other hand, if I'm dealing with middle school, we usually have lots of class changes, which excites and, for some reason, apparently confuses the students. I'm wondering if the girl with the bow really thinks she has English class three times today just because there is a sub in the room? Um, young lady, where are you supposed to be?
What's your name?
Um, may I see the roll?
No, go to class.
I always have visitors. Usually, it's during class when so-and-so's sister, wife, brother, cousin, etc., decides to drop in and thinks I will not notice. I really don't like being considered that dumb; I did go to college, and it's not that hard to spot someone who didn't answer roll call and isn't doing any work.
Scene: an unidentified student walks into the classroom several minutes after the bell rings.
Um, I'm late...
You need a pass from the office.
Scene: An off-task student is chatting it up with friends. I interrupt.
Why aren't you doing any work?
I'm not even in this class...oops, I mean....
Then, get out!
But my name's on the roll!
What's your name?
Billy Kid Robinson...
There is no Billy on here.
Other students chuckle.
Bye
Bye
For some reason the middle school students think they can get away with much more as the day wears on. Word spreads that they have a substitute teacher, and the chaos really starts to ensue with budding class clowns trying more and more tricks. The best tactic, though, is to be patient with the students, make sure the activities for that day are ready to go, and don't be afraid to call for back-up. By lunch time, though, things usually get a bit crazy.
11:00-12:30
Middle School
Lunch time rolls around, and I lead the students, or they lead me if I'm not familiar with the school, to the cafeteria. There, I unsuccessfully try to keep an eye on the class as they get their lunch; everyone sort of blends in with everyone else, though. Then, I sit down and eat my lunch with the students; we sometimes chat about various topics.
Back in the classroom, the students are rowdier than ever. Sometimes, I don't regain control for a little while. Other times, I never regain control; as soon as I put a stop to one instance of misbehavior, another starts. It's really embarrassing to have other teachers come in and complain to me about the noise level, and I hate it when anyone, especially a kid, sends the message that I don't know how to manage a class.
_______________
Highlight
My worst substitute teaching moment was at a certain middle school. The students thought it would be fun to raid the teacher's refrigerator and spread the food all over the floors! Those juvenile deliquents! The worst part is I gave them permission; I didn't clearly hear what one of the students asked me, so I just said, "yes." What a mistake! Well, the room another sub was covering got it much worse than I did, though. I guess the kids thought it was all in fun, but that was really just mean. I dread going back to that school now, although I think I've gotten much better at spotting and stopping misbehavior, whether the students like it or not.
______________
High School
I usually don't need to supervise students in the cafeteria. This is my time to rest, eat the lunch I brought, and get ready for the final class.
1:00
Middle School
Yes! It is finally over! One more hour, and then I'm free! This is usually my worst class, though, especially if I haven't watched carefully for shinanigans, like tearing out pages in class workbooks, making paper airplanes out of a class set of worksheets, throwing away reproducable worksheets, stealing the agenda for today, stealing the roll, etc., throughout the day.
______________
Highlight
At a certain school, I would always run out of worksheets for the students at the end of the day, because the students from the previous classes would not follow directions. If the worksheet was not to be written on, I would get it back with writing on it, and, sometimes, the students who wrote on the worksheets didn't even bother to turn the work in to me; they would just leave it on their desks as if it was going to magically transfer to the homework box.
____________
High School
If I've gotten control of the class, everything is pretty calm at this point; if I have not, I'm effectively dealing with chaos and wondering if these young people really know that they are in high school.
2:15
Some students are dismissed to ride the bus; I'm stuck with more would-be class clowns for about ten minutes, or, sometimes non-bus riders just follow the bus riders out. How on earth am I supposed to know the difference? It's not like I'm given a list or anything.
Well, that's what it's like, from my perspective, to be a substitute teacher. Subbing isn't necessarily a bad job, but substitute teachers are highly under appreciated, in my opinion. I'm a licensed teacher, too, but I very rarely get to teach anything. This would be okay, but the break in routine really seems to mess with the classroom dynamic, and it gives the students the impression that I'm not the professional that I am. Maybe the students blame me for the boring day and take out their frustration on me. Then again, maybe they just think that the day won't count and the work isn't important. Sadly, they're kind of right; some teachers don't grade the work the students get on sub days, and I think the students might know this. Wow, it makes my job a bit easier if (a.) the students understand that I'm a professional with a degree, (b.) the students understand that I'm a tutor and want to help them learn, (c.) misbehavior will not be taken lightly just because there is a guest in the teacher's desk, and (d.) I'm still not just there to "collect a paycheck" or "take up space" (although it sometimes feels like it with the kind of treatment I sometimes receive) and am in the classroom that day to serve as a valuable resource in any way that I can. I think if teachers and students kept that in mind, my day would go much more smoothly. It would be much easier to navigate the classroom if I had real lesson plans and was called in a few days in advance to collaborate with the teacher on something.
_____________
Highlight
I actually did get the chance to do this once or twice, and it wasn't at the best of schools, but everything turned out well. I was given access to the teacher's Smart Board, which substitute teachers usually are not, and I was given a real lesson plan with activities in advance so that I could plan out what I wanted to do with the students. A little attitude and preparation go a long way! That sub day everything went very well. The students participated in the guided activities with candy rewards for answering questions correctly, and we did the worksheets together. I was more than happy to explain if students had questions. It was a pretty good day, although I can't say I didn't have some off-task behavior. I like it when the teachers I work for take me seriously and let me get involved in lesson planning / presentation--it makes me seem more authentic, and I think the students like it, too.
____________
So, what do you think would make my job easier / more productive? How do you as a teacher deal with your subs? How might you deal with your subs after reading about my job? What do you, parents, think should be done for your children on the days the regular teacher is absent? What non-academically disruptive activities would you, former K-12 students, have enjoyed and participated in on sub days?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think that sometimes teachers do not leave lesson plans, activities, etc., behind because they were perhaps not expecting to be absent that day. Teachers who know they will be absent ahead of time should have no excuse for not preparing a plan for the time that they will be out of the classroom. I hope to never take substitutes for granted; I am sorry that you feel you have been under-appreciated in the past.
ReplyDeleteThat's a possibility. I get most of my work from SubFinder, and I do fill in for teachers who are sick on lots of occassions. There are also sometimes long-term sick leaves, field trips, and fun days. Don't regular teachers have a pacing guide, though, and don't they plan all of their lessons at least a week in advance? Is anyone here a teacher willing to share?
ReplyDeleteI know that all teachers at my school are supposed to have a sub binder with emergency plans ready; however I've gotten really bad subs from subfinder before so I try to prearrange with subs I already know. I think that some teachers don't want to leave lesson plans that require a lot of effort on the sub's part because not all subs will do it. I would suggest making friends with the other teachers and leaving your number with them. If a teacher knows ahead of time that you are reliable, they will leave better plans
ReplyDeleteWhat is your definition of a bad sub? I would think letting the students have a little buy-in and making the rules very clear for everyone would keep the sub from having to do lots of extra work. Plus, a good believable plan with activities that engage students cuts down on some classroom management issues. I don't even think I would be against assigning a set of teacher's helpers to each class to help the sub with execution of the lesson and the other duties of the sub. More often, there is less work when the rules are clear and the students can take responsibility.
ReplyDeleteA sub who shows up high, a sub who does not even give out or assign the work I've left. I'm sure you are not like that, but I have had all of these experiences at schools I've taught at. The best way is to make friends with the other teachers at the school so they know you beforehand.
DeleteI din't mean to offend you and I'm sure you do a good job but there are bad subs out there just like there are bad teachers too.
Teachers that know they will not be able to attend school should have a sub binder ready. I also think that every teacher should have a lesson plan made for each day of the week for a seven day period because anything can happen that we do not plan on happening. I do not think there. I don't think it is a matter of "dealing with a sub." I actually think that is rather harsh and that the substitutes do only as well as a teacher prepares a lesson for the substitute.
ReplyDeleteI agree, and I think that was what I was trying to say. The substitute teacher is only as good as the lesson plans, classroom management plans, etc., left for her; it's usually not a matter of getting a "lazy" sub, because a lot of what we have to do to deal with a disorganized class could be prevented if the teachers and students would prepare for us. After all, you will probably eventually need a substitute teacher. Will you lose a day of instructional time while everyone takes an impromptu recess, or will you be one of the few teachers who plans ahead and actually gets something done when you are not at school? If your classroom management plan is so effective that you can hold your class without even being at school, in my opinion, you would probably be seen as very effective indeed. I know your subs would appreciate you.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, let me say that subs are underappreciated. They have an extremely hard job. I used to sub before getting a teaching job, and I know I will never do it again, even after I retire. It is so hard to go into a class of students you don't know and try to do things the way the regular teacher does. It's nearly impossible. I completely agree that you should make friends with the teachers and give them your number. If they know you and how you handle classes, they will be more comfortable calling you again. I know that, personally, I never just leave subfinder to find a sub for me. I always prearrange a sub. Even on days when I wake up sick, I call all the subs I know and are comfortable with to take my place. I personally would rather split my class with the other teachers than to have a sub I don't know.(I do teach elementary however.) I feel that most teachers will also say they try to prearrange subs whenever they can. That way they know what to expect. I have several meetings that I will have throughout the year, and I have already contacted the sub I wanted for all those dates. I know that my students will get to know her and what she expects of them, so every time they have a sub, it won't be a new experience.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea. It's best to let the students interact with the ones with which they are comfortable, especially elementary and middle school students. It's amazing how well students will usually behave for a teacher they recognize as having authority.
DeleteI will say that in general, I will say that subs aren't as appreciated as they should be. However, I have also had subs who purely do it for the money, not because they have a desire to teach, or are hoping for a teaching job. Many subs aren't willing to actually teach. I have learned that the hard way. I have left work I wanted to be completed, and somehow it wasn't completed and we lost a day. Academically, subs should be prepared to do a little work, more than just babysitting (which I KNOW many many many actually do). When it comes to classroom management, a sub needs to come in with the iron fist. Even the best classroom teachers will have times when their students go wild without them. A firm sub, or the one the kids don't like but the other teachers rave about, is the one I would always call back.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with what other people have said: make friends with teachers and try to make a school your "home."
Thank you. Sometimes, though, I kind of wish for more organization. Yes, I know subs are responsible for their own classroom management, but it doesn't really work very well if you can't automatically come up with a system, and, at least at the schools I usually go to, students try to take every advantage they can. I feel like I would be better prepared if some of the teachers would leave a summary of their classroom management and discipline plans. Usually I get, "if the students are a problem, take their names, and send them to me," but what if I have students playfighting with each other, insulting me, or bullying one another? Who do I turn to then? If I call administration, they will usually frown on me for not being able to handle it myself, but what do they want me to do?
DeleteFailed lesson plans are a fact of life. It even happens to me sometimes :)
ReplyDeleteI frequently leave worksheets too. The worksheets are always drills on skills they are supposed to aready have, so they are supposed to know what to do. If they say they don't, they're probably fibbing. You substitute teachers out there in blog world, let me know if this is bad, and if need something different.
Some students who claim to be working together are doing exactly that, others are goofing off. Telling which is which in advance is probably impossible.
It's tough to know who is a "visitor" and who isn't if you don't know the students. I throw visitors out immediately, usually rudely. After all, they are being rude by interrupting your class.
I really hate to admit this, but I doubt anyone could make anything out of a lesson plan I left for them. The lesson plan I give the administration is usually very terse. The teacher of the "honors" class across the hall usually has a lesson plan consisting of at most two hand-written sentences. She's good with the worksheets too. Now the good students are across the hall, and the remediation students are next to me. It frequently sounds like a saloon brawl over there when there is a substitute. I hope that doesn't happen to you.
I think that, with the majority of students I deal with, it's a quality issue. The students see the teacher with great lesson plans, fun activities and a smile, and then they see me with boring drill worksheets that are probably not in the usual format that their regular classroom teacher uses, no bell-ringer, no I do, you do, we do, no discussion, and, essentially, no real class, and they think, "why should I have to take you seriously? You aren't here for me. You aren't really a teacher, if you are, teach me something." Of course, I can't; I'm lucky if I can keep the students from rioting. Personally, from what I've seen, I think they do it because they are bored, and, well, maybe even insulted by the monotony and break in routine. I've seen lots of this, and, no, it doesn't get better with just a great lesson plan. There are many steps to calming a rowdy class, but I do think showing the students you care helps.
DeleteI think you deserve a medal.
ReplyDeleteThe teachers are the real heros; I really don't know how you keep everything straight, and I'm amazed at how you make progress with some of these students after what I see!
DeleteI must say your experience with substitute teaching seems to be really stressful. I think you are doing the best you can and working with the material you have been given. I am not teaching yet so I do not have first hand experience with this but thank you for such a detailed account of substitute teaching. I will most definitely be considerate and thoughtful when thinking about any substitute teacher in my classroom.
ReplyDeleteIt's not all bad, but I deal mostly with kids who have apparently been trained to think of it as a free day, and no one has made an effort to change the students' perspective or give them a sense of responsibility in the matter; it all falls on my shoulders, and I try, but I usually, in my estimation, fail. If these were my students, I would want much more for them than what I'm able to give them that day.
ReplyDeleteIf I ever get a real teaching position, I think I certainly will, too. Subs go through torment and have to be really mean to do well in the classrooms, from what I've seen. When I'm on duty, at least a few students will probably get detention, retract, or suspension, just because they didn't take a guest teacher seriously. I hate making the students think I'm "out to get them," but they should at least be considerate of me. Trying to cause trouble just because the teacher is out is not acceptable.
ReplyDeleteOMG!!! Wow What a trooper!! You are amazing and driven. I also sub for teachers but I only sub for them when I have clear plan and I know in advance what I am going into.
ReplyDeleteI have to say "don't think that this is the way it will always be". Once you get your own classroom and set the rules it a different ballgame. If you are doing this just for the money and experience, consider doing something less stressful until you can get a classroom of your own. These experiences are not looking favorable on you. You are trying to win a losing battle. This may not be the best advice but I am concerned that we are going to lose a great teacher due to very difficult circumstances.
ReplyDeleteI sub on a regular basis at a great school and it can still be a little challenging, but I know all the students and the teacher always prepares me in advance for her absence. This is crucial!!! I would not sub without this preparation...
ReplyDeleteI am a fanatic about my sub plans. I also have an emergency plan in place...which is usually a film with an activity. I leave everything labeled with sticky notes, and details about the day and leave my cell number for any problmes that may arise. I tend to use the same ones every time...we do not have subfinder here in my school system. It's important that you have some sort of back up activity for them...icebreaker games, or engaging acitivities such as puzzles or something to use at least as a bellringer to keep them occupied while you figure out a game plan. NEVER let the students know you are stressed or unprepared. They will fuel the fire. They love to be read to as well, so even a story to read would be great.
ReplyDeleteVery insightful your post. I enjoyed the details. I think when teachers are absent, they should assign reviews on the materials students have learned, AND in detail for the substitute teacher. Leaving substitute teachers in the dark like that just seems unprofessional to me, on the part of the teacher. Unless, of course, the teacher had to leave in the last minute, and didn’t have time to plan for everything for the following day or week. So, I think students should be assigned review work on these days, because I’m sure not everyone in class knows everything, and should take advantage of these “extra time” to catch up, asking for help, if needed.
ReplyDeleteSubstitutes teachers are under-appreciated, but you should take this experience as a lesson in what NOT to do when you are a teacher. It will give you insight so you can be more compassionate and prepared for your substitutes. Someone wrote about leaving a substitute binder in case of emergencies; that would be a great idea! Most classrooms are equipped with at least a smart board. There are numerous games, activities, and lessons you could prepare ahead of time using it. Another good strategy is to find an "ally" among the students from each class. There is usually always a student who is willing to help you get acquainted with what chapter/unit they are in that week.
ReplyDeleteWhenever I have to be out and get a substitute, I always choose the one that the students do NOT want. Sounds like you'd be that sub. All you can do is the best that you can do. No more than that. It will be easier once you get your own class.
ReplyDelete